Sunday, September 5, 2010

So This is Life, Huh?

Calibe or MissCalibe. Does is make a difference? It's Sunday morning, I have lots to do to prepare for the 2 shows I have tonight yet here I am online trying to figure out what to do about my name. The real story is that Calibe.com was taken years ago. I've always had http://Calibe.net. In starting my youtube page, somebody had already made off with my name there too (who knew there were so many Calibes?). So youtube suggested MissCalibe. I liked it. Since then, most of my pages use MissCalibe for consistency. So now that MissCalibe prevails, should that be my name?? I'm not really stressed about it. I'll answer to either. NEXT challenge please!!

On to the internet at large. As an independent artist, albeit signed to a small label, a lot of the responsibility for stuff like web presence falls on your own shoulders. I've been spending hours for the last few days making sure that I'm popping up in as many online music sites as possible. Who knew that I was already on Last.fm and iLike.com? I didn't. If you have any kind of catalog, you're probably on there too. Get on it or get your people on it. I don't mind doing it myself.

There'll always be people who want to believe it should all be glamorous from the get go but until you find that hit and radio agrees that it's a hit, believe that the grind needs to be implanted in your daily psyche. Even after you find that hit you have to stay on the work. I've seen it too many times, people get caught up in their own hype and start to feel like they're above the support of their teams and the people that got them where they are. Bad move!

I'm not going to get preachy here but, I'm finding more and more that whether you've made it or not, we're all struggling with something, in mind, in pocket, in direction. A bright spirit is hard to maintain sometimes but if you can find a light every day (I don't mean for your spliff), then let it guide you and keep you grounded. Otherwise you'll lose yourself or go mad. I'm trying not to do either :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment